As many of our clients know, the past few years and months have seen ForPaws go through some tremendous changes. We have grown, from just myself, to myself and two members of the team, to now myself and 6 other members of staff, including our two managers, Michelle and Kirsty (read about our team here)!
It has been truly wonderful to see my business grow from strength to strength, but with this growth has come increased challenges in running an extremely busy business, with lots of people involved and lots of changes to our day to day hectic schedule. It has been a long time since I have reviewed our business plan which was dedicated mostly towards the first few years of setting up the business, so this week, I've taken a 'week off' (aside from training classes) to focus entirely on our new business plan for ForPaws future. I have been looking at how we can ensure that our customers (new and 'old') stay happy with our service, through inevitable changes to the team and schedule and how we can ensure a constant high level of service. I have also been looking at how we can stay a profitable business (it is easy to be busy, but not easy to be busy and profitable!) as the VAT threshold has been looming for us.
One of my first tasks has been to write a mission statement for ForPaws. This is a statement of who we are, what we do and what who we want to be:
Our purpose is to provide the highest standard in pet care, training and behaviour, by prioritising the welfare, needs and best interests of our animal and human clients, using robust systems that ensure our service is reliable, professional and hassle free at all times for our clients and through ensuring our team is motivated, educated and enabled to do so.
Whilst this may sound great 'on screen, acheiving this is not as simple as it seems, so I have drawn up 5 guiding principles for our operations, and all of our existing and new services and processes, will be assessed against these principles, which will show us where we can improve (we know there are some areas!) and how to ensure we are the best! Our principles are:
- ForPaws will only offer services and expert advice that promotes the best standards in pet care and welfare and ensures that pets remain happy, safe and behaviourally sound under the ForPaws umbrella.
- ForPaws will always place the best interests of the pets in their care above image, profit or growth.
- ForPaws will always provide customers with friendly, respectful, reliable, professional and experienced care, ensuring our clients value us as much as we value them, because our service is second to none.
- ForPaws will only recruit staff who feel as passionately about pet care and welfare as we do and we will ensure that our staff are trained and feel valued, motivated and appreciated to ensure they want to stay with us and take the very best care of you and your pet.
- ForPaws will be an exemplary pet care provider, working closely with other qualified and experienced professionals to set the standards of the very best practice in an unregulated and inconsistent industry.
I am really excited that we have a lot of plans for the future and will soon (hopefully!) be announcing further news. Watch this space!